You know you love books when…
September 25, 2008 at 5:12 pm #40214
You know you love books when:
- You hesitate to buy books because you have run out of shelf space.
- You still buy those books, because you just know you can squeeze them in somewhere.
- You can’t squeeze them in, so they end up balanced precariously on the edge of a shelf.
- Your library begins to impose a limit on the number of items that can be checked out on one card.
- The librarians know you on sight and know exactly where your books are on the hold shelf.
- You memorize your library card number.
- Your library card expires and you are dismayed to find out that you cannot keep your old number.
- Your pulse quickens during library book sale season.
- You buy books at library book sales just because they looked interesting.
- You walk out of library book sales carrying several large boxes of books.
- Your “to read” list gets increasingly longer.
- You can rattle off the release dates of a dozen new books on your wish list.
- Your relatives want to know if you would like anything other than books for your birthday or Christmas.
- People start to wonder if you can give any gifts that are not books.
- You constantly nag your friends to read more.
- You meet somebody for the first time, and the first thing you ask them is, “So, do you read much?”
- You plan on naming your children after your favorite characters from your favorite fantasy novel.
Yes, I personally have experienced every single one of these.
Feel free to add anything I’ve missed!September 25, 2008 at 6:09 pm #43533
Oh my goodness, I relate to Every Single One too. (So I’m not the only person to memorise my library card number? Wow.)
(What’s your favourite fantasy novel then? )
–You compare your life to the books you read and relate to fictional characters as much as or more than real people
–You insert random book quotes into conversations, and don’t mind the perplexed looks
–Your family hates watching movies with you because of the constant “that wasn’t in the book!” mantra
–You read books aloud to your siblings, even though you hate reading aloud, just because their cultural exposure will be incomplete without Narnia
–”A good library” is first on your list of Things To Look For In Prospective Future Locations, and the thought of moving to somewhere without a library is one of the most depressing that you can come up with
–You fantasise about living or staying in a library (the larger the better)
–You start a campaign to burn all of the abridged books in your house (hasn’t worked yet, but I am persevering…)
–You’ve had nightmares about going somewhere dull and forgetting your book (this has happened to me more than once, it was deeply scarring.^^)September 25, 2008 at 6:14 pm #43534
I’ve memorized our library card number too.September 25, 2008 at 7:26 pm #43535
Me too! And I thought I was the only person who did that! My family thinks I’m crazy.
I went to the library book sale just a couple weeks ago and came out with not boxes, but a least an armload of books. They were all free, since it was the last day. Again, my family thought I was crazy, since I’m constantly complaining about the lack of shelf space.
I hate having books sitting around in piles or on top of shelves for lack of space. One of my criteria for a house someday will be a large, comfortable library with several windows.
I dream of being a librarian someday. Just imagine, spending your whole day surrounded by books…September 25, 2008 at 7:37 pm #43536
Ooh! A big library in the house would be cool.September 25, 2008 at 8:05 pm #43537
Wow! I forgot a lot of things…
Let’s see… I have no favorite fantasy novel, but at one point I had thought that Frodo would be suitable for a firstborn son. :lol:
I also insert random book quotes into conversation. Like Alassiel, I plan on owning a house with a large room devoted to books, or maybe several, or how about the whole second floor…September 25, 2008 at 8:16 pm #43538
In joyful ecstasy, I danced upstairs to tell my sister that I now know of three other people in the world that memorize their library card number. :lol: She gave me one of her “You are really strange, sometimes I wonder if we’re actually related” looks. I love it when she looks at me like that. :mrgreen:
I was planning on naming a daughter Mariel for awhile.September 25, 2008 at 8:57 pm #43539September 25, 2008 at 9:16 pm #43540
Heehee. Nice.September 25, 2008 at 11:11 pm #43541
Rockin’! I am going to have one of those nutty, colossal libraries with a huge fireplace and sliding ladders. *think, Beauty and the Beast*
Oho, I relate to Nearly Every One on both Jordan’s and Alyosha’s lists!!! I never bother to memorize me library card, however, cause we don’t live near enough to a library for me to use it every week. :x We’re currently lookin’ fer a new house, and usually the first thing I ask about a possibility is “Does it have a library near?” It’s one of my dreams to have a library or bookstore within walking distance!September 25, 2008 at 11:28 pm #43542
Maybe a secret passage in the library too.September 26, 2008 at 1:24 am #43543
People, I’ve made floor-plans for the library in my dream house (and yes, it includes a secret passageway). I’ve also memorized my library card number and can log into the library’s website in (I’ve timed it) 3.8 seconds. And just yesterday I ran out of space on my shelves. LOVE THE BANNER JORDAN!September 26, 2008 at 2:12 am #43544
So what are some of the other character names for your kids?
PS. Loved the Frodo idea!!! hehe
I have never really thought about having a library in my house..but now its going to be the most important thing!!! Completely Beauty and the beast type.September 26, 2008 at 6:16 am #43545
You all must be mind-readers…I love the Beast’s library, once wished to name a daughter Mariel, and have always planned on having a library in my future house. (Or at least a room-full, anything is better than having a different shelf in every room. ) Yeah, I drew floor-plans too once, those things are fun! Secret passages and sliding ladders are a necessary feature, too.
This thread is awesome. LOLSeptember 26, 2008 at 3:19 pm #43546
This is sorta off-topic, but I don’t think Ms. Paul is too fond of me anymore. She has been having a bunch of contests on her blog recently, with beaded dragon bookmarks for prizes. I have now won 3 of those bookmarks. They’re pretty cool. :wink:
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.